Can't find a generic "subscribe button" to the blog?

So there are a number of blogs in the movement that I am subscribed to and get delivered to my email, so that I see the content, instead of having to go to the blog. However, I am not able to find such a “subscribe” button on the main page of the Space Blog: is there any way that we could make that function more visible? Generically, I would like to be able to get it, even if I don’t read it all the time.

2 Likes

When we initially setup the Space prototype we opted not to enable any direct newsletter features in WordPress but to instead use the features of Discourse to allow for subscription to particular categories and tags. The options we had investigated were all of the kind that would require a third-party to be involved in managing the newsletters. :confused:

You can subscribe to the “wikimedia-space-blog” tag to get notifications from the blog.

See also: https://space.wmflabs.org/2019/06/26/how-to-follow-the-blog/

2 Likes

Interesting, have we thought if there is an easy way for folks to subscribe to the tag in the blog site? If a button like that was more visible (or even just a “how to subscribe” link in the top somewhere that linked to the blog post – I think you would see folks subscribing to notifications/updates from the tag).

1 Like

Also in a related, but sideways note: the link to “view topic” in the bottom of the email that discourse sends me is kindof muted light gray color, while links you post are blues (and your name too)-- so I didn’t find it the first time I reviewed the email only the other urls – not that I know where it is, probably will find it again, but for folks not paying attention all the time to the updates – I am imagining a similar level of disorientation.

1 Like

How about a “subscribe” button that links to simple instructions or an introduction to set the stage? (I haven’t yet figured out how to subscribe to a tag either, for example - not sure where to look yet, either… :blush:)

1 Like
1 Like

@Astinson_WMF Hi Alex, there is a similar topic already:

1 Like

Hmm, that is something we can look into.

@HDothiduc_WMF do you have any thoughts on how we might go about adding a subscribe button to the interface?

This is a really good point and I think there could be a button in the side of the blog below the “Recent News” list. And also there could be a link in the footer.

Sidenote: the wikimedia-spacge-blog tag also includes Discuss topics that are not articles, like this topic here.

1 Like

:checkered_flag: added a button to the Blog article Chris wrote in the sidebar and a link to it in the footer.

(I think the footer needs more work in general, adding more information. But that’s a different thread, should come soon though!)

2 Likes