CEE Meeting 2020

Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2020 ( #WMCEE ) will be the ninth annual meeting of Wikimedians from Central and Eastern Europe centered on the Wikimedia projects (Wikipedia and similar projects) in countries and communities of Central and Eastern Europe.

More information:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2020

@Anass_Sedrati and @Reda_benkhadra did a fantastic job with WikiArabia this year. I can’t speak to the cost element, but the sessions were great and really relevant for people from different regions with different interests. Do either of you have any tips on any of this you can share?

1 Like

Thank you @ELappen_WMF for mentionning us in this discussion.
Based on our previous exprience in WikiArabia, what we suggest to our CEE colleagues in terms topic lists, is to have first a general theme to the conference (ours was “Wikimedia and the local communities”), which allows to tackle it from different perspectives, by having submissions aligned with theme, so that attendees participate in adressing it from their own angles and backgrounds, thus making the outcome relevant to everyone (big and smaller communities, beginner and advanced levels).
As for reducing the costs, I suggest to you for next edition to have partners and sponsors, so that they could participate in the financing and assist you in the organisation.

1 Like

Wikimedia CEE Meeting 2020 will be the ninth annual meeting of Wikimedians from Central and Eastern Europe. The meeting will be held in Ohrid, North Macedonia from 18-20 September 2020, organized by GLAM Macedonia User Group.
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_CEE_Meeting_2020

This is a place to share your expectations, experience and other feedback.

5 Likes

I still didn’t really understood why the organizers chose the most remote city of Northern Macedonia :smiley: with a small airport that has basically only connections to Western Europe, Istanbul and Tel Aviv.

I created an event for the meeting here: CEE Meeting 2020.

2 Likes

Thanks @Samat, these topics have now been merged.

A post was split to a new topic: Create an event from an existing topic

I`m not involved in organization, but although SKP is much bigger airport, still does not have plenty connections with Eastern Europe. Also, OHD airport is growing airport in recent years, we can see what can bring summer timetable for 2020. Also, Ohrid is such a beauty, UNESCO cultural and natural site, and it is not in any case, most remote city of Macedonia.

P.S. If you want to use new official name, then it is North Macedonia, not Northern.

Correct, the name is North Macedonia (Northern Macedonia would more accurately refer to the northern part of Greek Macedonia, i.e. the city of Florina).

Agreed that OHD is a good location, I’m looking forward to it, it’s been one of the travel destinations I’ve been wanting to visit for some years now :slightly_smiling_face: Could you offer travel options if someone would prefer to travel from Skopje? When I went to CEE2018 in Lviv the flight that was most convenient for us (Aggelos and me) was Athens to Kiev, so Wikimedia Ukraine booked us train tickets from Kiev (where we were kindly met by Anna at 3 a.m.!) to Lviv, so we got a chance to enjoy the countryside during our seven-hour train ride :slight_smile:

Yes, they did an awesome job at WikiArabia2019! I’m sure there are lessons to be learned for all regional events from the meeting in Marrakesh. I would go so far as to say that Wikimania can learn from WikiArabia 2019 :slight_smile:

I believe organizers will provide sufficient information, but yes, it has a lot of bus connections between two cities from various companies. And return ticket is less than 15 EUR.

1 Like