The huwiki community used to have a mailing list but it has been defunct for five years or so, and IMO it has contributed to the community’s stagnation. I intend to propose restarting it based on up-to-date technology, and the Wikimedia Space might just be what we need.
If we were to use this site for that, how would that look? At first glance, I imagine the requirements to be:
- a separate “view” of Hungarian Wikipedia related discussions (a category, I imagine; it doesn’t seem to fit into the current category system though)
- ability to contribute via email (aka. “mailing list emulation mode”. I see little value in trying to mirror the existing list, it has been dead for years and mailman is a nightmare in terms of registration, moderation or spam filtering.)
- the ability to use wiki login (this is in the works AFAIK); the email address must remain private in the process
- Hungarian interface. We can handle software translation (if needed at all; current status is 54% and already pretty decent) but there are plenty of not obviously translatable elements:
- notices like the “Welcome to the Wikimedia Space prototype!” box
- translatable labels, or use of Hungarian labels (which should probably be segregated to the Hungarian category then to not confuse other users)
- ideally there would be a way to link the Hungarian version, so non-registered users following discussion links do not get the English interface. (That could be language-specific links, browser language autodetection, making the Hungarian subsection default to Hungarian interface…)
- ideally the navigation bar, site name etc. would be translatable
- self-moderation (of the huwiki community, or the Hungarian-speaking community; in practice there won’t be much difference between the two, the sister projects are tiny)
- ideally, some very rudamentary site analytics (not necessarily public) - what are the popular topics, is participation going up or down etc. Also, flairs or some other means of identifying Hungarian participants would be nice.