Creating a public category for my local group?

Maybe it wasn’t clear in my post, but I am aware of the existence of the Categories page ^^
Still, there is no way to create hierarchy inside those categories, which brings us back to the tag problem.
E.g. “Regional coordination” cannot contain a 1000 tags for every single wiki-club in cities across the world. We would need sub-categories by continent>country>city.

1 Like

Also, I think it is hardly imaginable in the future that only a few admins are able to create and organize categories. Do you plan to have volunteers become able to do that?

1 Like

Yes, it’s true that Discourse software intentionally limits categories to two levels only: primary categories and subcategories. So the hierarchy is minimal, although it does exist to some extent.

When I first started working with Discourse, I had the exact same thought. My mind tends to order things hierarchically, so it was hard for me to conceptualize what it meant to only have two levels. After working more with it, though, I see why the developers made this very conscious choice. Posts only go in one category, which means lots of categories and lots of overlap would lead to problems. Categories also come with their own distinct URL, so moving them around frequently (combining, removing, refining) causes its own set of issues.

Out of curiosity, what in particular do you feel is missing when we use tags to sort, label and search for the more granular themes? I wonder if a clear taxonomy that includes both categories and tags might help add clarity for the example you’ve given, and for the other use cases you may have in mind.

Well, I have in mind exactly what I said, i.e. geographical entities and thematic working groups, which are the main things wikimedians talk about. If Space is supposed to replace previous channels of discussions, it should allow dealing with this.
Do you suggest creating an individual tag for each city?
Where am I supposed to hold discussions with my teammates from Grenoble about our different projects?

I think the best solution would be to create a public subcategory for your group in the #regional-coordination category. I’m envisioning all types of regionally-based affiliates and other initiatives to go there as subcategories. From there, you can use tags to further sort your topics.

Ok, so apparently it’s not possible for me to create a category. Is it you who will create it for us? (maybe one of the reasons for lower engagement is precisely that control over the platform is limited, while social media usually allow creating one’s own group or tags autonomously, eg. facebook groups, twitter hashtags, etc.).

Another approach could be that anyone can start a topic or more about their local group, and then those groups proving activity would get an own tag, and then an own subcategory.

There is a risk of having many categories almost inactive, and this doesn’t look good either. If we start with own topics and an own tag, then whoever requests a new category can show a good track of participation.

This would also solve the problem with permissions: anyone can create new topics and several users have permissions to create new tags.

1 Like

I think this is an overall solid approach. In general, people have been following the process laid out in How to request a new category or closed group on Space, but this has led to a number of inactive categories and subcategories, which take up space on the main page.

If you’d like, @Opsylac, I’m happy to create a tag for you now (which anyone with Trust Level 3 and above can do), which can then be converted to a subcategory with participation.

2 Likes

Yes it would be great to have a “Grenoble” tag to start with :slight_smile:

1 Like

Done! #grenoble

2 Likes

Cool thanks! :smiley:

1 Like