Display Wikimedia Space Map in your wiki

Related to displaying notifications on the wiki, I think it would be great to have a way to display events on the wiki. The map seems t o be a cool option, but have a filtered list of events would be nice too! :)

6 Likes

Oh, yes, that would be really useful. It doesn’t really matter in what way they are showed, but if it could be done, it would really incentivize me to add events here.

2 Likes

I’ve started work on this, as a parser function that could be used something like this:

{{#discourse:events|tags=glam}}

and it’ll output something like:

There are of course lots of questions about how to format it and what timezone to display and what else to show etc.

5 Likes

I think displaying the map itself would be the best option?
About the timezone: since events are located in specific physical places, each event should be displayed in its local timezone. Except for online events of course ;)

There are of course lots of questions about how to format it and what timezone to display and what else to show etc.

Format should be simple: date, vent, place, other stuff. With CSS classes to provide a way to customize it?
Concerning the timezone, I think that using the user preferences is the best option.

Is there any Phabricator ticket we can subscribe to and comment on?

Is there any Phabricator ticket we can subscribe to and comment on?

Yep, it’s T215053.

And I think displaying a map is a great idea. If we provide the Discourse data in a Lua library, wikis will be able to construct whatever output they want. Perhaps we’ll also want the extension to provide a few default outputs as well so wikis don’t have to copy modules if they don’t want to change anything.

Oh yes, and as for the TZ: it’d have to do that trick of displaying UTC and then modifying it via a gadget for each user, because the actual output has to be cacheable.