Events map: remove past events?

Several weeks later… I think the map is more useful when past events are automatically removed.

1 Like

Having a delay on that wouldn’t necessarily be bad however. I always find it annoying if something in the past disappears immediately as something started or ended, making it impossible to use my ‘trained’ entry point into information, when i still need it use it (not uncommon just after an event happened that I go looking for the website or something).

At the level of events, I think a week after the event ended sounds like a useful timeframe to me.

Interesting. Right now, it’s a simple switch you either flip on or off to remove past events from the map. I’ve opted to remove them for now, although they’re of course still visible on the calendar and on the Events list view. We can talk about further refining this in the future if needed.

1 Like

I’m not sure how helpful this is, but I just realized there is a setting per category Filter closed topics from the map topic list in this category.

This means that another possible approach would be to show all events in the map (not closing them based on date) but show only events with open topics. Topics would have to be curated manually though, closing those we feel that have accomplished their mission.

(To make it even more interesting, Discourse offers the possibility to close topics automatically based on fixed time, time after creation of the topic and time after the the last activity in the topic. However, this would not work for events because someone might publish a new event a year in advance and have no comments, and we don’t want those topics to be closed accidentally.)

1 Like

Maybe the default setting could be to remove past events, but users could be given an option “show past events”(with the possibility of displaying only a certain time span in the past like “june 2019” - otherwise in 5 years you will just see a crowded unreadable map).

1 Like

That’s a good suggestion @DRanville_WMF. Have added filtering by date as a specification here: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230851.

6 Likes