Hide events from "Latest" topics?

I’ve noticed an increasing number of users looking to hide Events from the “Latest” column on the Discuss Space homepage. Sometimes posted events end up flooding this column, and that can be hard for people looking to engage in discussion.

So far, I’ve directed people to configure their own settings in order to “Mute” events, i.e. the solution described in Mark as read. This has the downside, however, of making the category also disappear from the Category column on the left of the homepage. People may completely forget it’s there.

I’m wondering if we should take a more systemic and refined approach to this. In the category settings, I can opt to suppress Events from the Latest column on the site. This would mean they are still searchable, the category is still visible on the Categories column, and upcoming events are easily viewable from the map, the calendar and the Events category page, but the Latest column would be preserved for discussions.

What do people think about this?

1 Like

I think it’s worth a try. If we don’t like it, we can change it back.

2 Likes

It seems like Events aren’t flooding the Latest column in the way that they were before. I’ll leave it as is for now (better not to hide things unless there’s a real foundation for it), and if there’s interest later on, the option is there.