Modify timezone text of events list view

Btw I am not sure whether this is an appropriate topic, but in my view of topics the titles of the topics created to advertise events look like “A special day, 27 August 14:00 UTC+2 (Berlin)”, making an impression that it is held in Berlin, whereas it could very well be held in Tokyo, whereas Berlin is a designation for my local time. This could be confusing for some users.

4 Likes

I see how this can be confusing, particularly if the user didn’t include the location or put the location in the title. But if we set the timezone to the local timezone of the event, it’s hard for users to see when it will be happening their time. For now, I’ve been trying to add locations and descriptive event topic titles when I see anything missing, but perhaps we can look into modifying the way the user’s local timezone is displayed.

I think the easiest is probably not to display time (only the date) in the header. Then the location is not confusing, and whoever wants to know the timecan open the message. I am not sure it is technically feasible though.

1 Like

I am +1ing this as I was just tricked by the very same thing. Cool event on calendar, sadly not in Rome.

2 Likes

Yes, even after reading this I made this error yesterday, being happy something was happening in Stockholm :)

2 Likes

I believe this is something we can tweak in the admin interface. I’ve been working on it a bit but will continue to play around. Being tracked here: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T230936

2 Likes

Can you tell the location of this event?

discourse-timezone

It actually doesn’t have one (it is an online event), but most readers will surely think it is in Budapest (or whatever city they see displayed), which is actually how Discourse tries to specify the time zone (somewhat pointlessly as everyone sees it in their own time zone anyway).

3 Likes

Yes, I had a similar experiences with thinking “why is this event in Amsterdam ?”…

Interesting why you see Amsterdam as a default location while I see Berlin.

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s using whatever the OS clock is set to?

All right everyone, @HDothiduc_WMF has now successfully taken out the city from the displayed timezone! I think it’s a lot clearer now. Check out the list view of events: https://discuss-space.wmflabs.org/c/events. Thoughts?

4 Likes

This is so much better !

1 Like

The OS clock in my case says " (UTC+01:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Bern, Rome, Stockholm, Vienna". But it is moot now anyway.