Suggestions for Event UI improvements

Hi there. I think the recurring event option would be great! As I have now created some events to test the tool, here are some ideas:

• It’d make sense to identify (by an icon?) if the event will be streamed;
  • it’d make sense to identify (by an icon?) the event language(s);
  • i have struggled with being able to bring the events I have created to the map, perhaps an error message if the mapping feature was not achieved successfully;
  • an option to provide an external link to the event makes sense, as for now it has to be written in the text box;
  • the option to share --at least on facebook, which is what i have tried-- is not working. i only got a blue box, with no link or explanation;
  • it’d be AMAZING if this could be transformed onto wiki-text to be used on-wiki.

I take this thred opportunity to thank @elappen-WMF, who has provided support on personal messages.

Cheers,

João

4 Likes

Hey @Joalpe,
Thanks for adding your events to the map/calendar and helping us work out how we can improve the feature.

Adding an icon for event streaming could be a great addition.

In terms of the event language, do you think using tags could fill this void? Eventually, we are working toward Discussions in many languages, organized by tags, but for now I am adding in basic language tags as users begin to post in other languages. You can now, for example, add the #português tag to your other events.

For the external link, do you mean putting the option at the top, close to the date/time buttons, for example?

Will look into the Facebook share (perhaps it’s glitchy).

Interesting idea about transforming to wiki-text!

Going to file requests as Phabricator tasks for Space.

Thanks again!

1 Like

One thing that I currently find confusing is that events in the calendar are displayed in their local times, rather than in the times of the person viewing the calendar. This can put things in the wrong order or on the wrong days.

2 Likes

Good point @samwilson-WMF. This is actually a setting that can be configured. I’ve changed the default to reflect the user’s local timezone rather than the timezone of the event. Hopefully that makes things clearer!

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s much better.

1 Like

I think it gets its geocoding from OpenStreetMap, so addresses that aren’t in the OSM database might not work right.

The best fix is to edit OSM — or, more easily, open a note on https://osm.org for the venue that’s not working, and we can add the correct metadata there. Then it should work for events here.

2 Likes

I think it gets its geocoding from OpenStreetMap, so addresses that aren’t in the OSM database might not work right.

Yes, that’s what I’ve been told. What is surprising is that one of the events I have created is in a Brazilian GLAM, Fundação Casa de Rui Barbosa, and is perfectly well included on OSM, even as a node. I was unable to make it work with the exact address. I ended up just putting an approximate address, and I don’t know why this is happening.

On this particular case, it’d have made sense if I could provide the OSM node.

Thanks!

João

1 Like

Hm yeah that’s annoying!

Does it work if you use the building’s address of 134 Rua São Clemente?

Oh, and it looks like the link to Wikipedia from that event is being broken by Discourse maybe. I get:

The requested page title contains invalid characters: “%C3”.

1 Like

Doesn’t work with the exact building address. Only when I only include the street name.

The link mistake appears to be related to “ç” and “ã”, which are used in Portuguese.

@Joalpe I’ve tested the Facebook share feature and it appears to work well. Where there is an image embedded in the post, for example, in this one, the image shows up on the Facebook post with the title and the first few sentences. Where there is no image embedded in the post, the blue square shows up (as that is the current default for Space, since we have not done any branding yet) with the title of the post and the basic info below.

1 Like

@Joalpe Just created an online-attendance tag (to also capture events with videoconferencing, rather than just live streaming) and have added an icon to make this tag stand out when browsing. I’ve added it to this topic. What do you think?

1 Like

Can you explain your use case, please? I mean, what is the end result you would like to see on-wiki?

1 Like

Hi. We normally publish details on our events in at least two pages on-wiki. If the wiki code was made available here, we could then just replicate it on these pages. Makes sense?

Alright, but then what about aiming to have your events automagically posted to the wiki page you want?

RSS feeds don’t give change notifications, cannot be added to the watchlist, cannot be permalinked etc.

RSS feeds per se don’t, but they could trigger a mechanism to do so. In fact we started this discussion months ago at https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T215053#5049694 :slight_smile: Let’s continue there the discussion of implementation details?

Well, this is more ambitious than what I was hoping for, so if this is workable this would be cool!

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Modify timezone text of events list view

A post was merged into an existing topic: Recurring events on movement calendar