Wikipedians of Goa User Group meet on Saturday: WGUG, Wikipedians of Goa User Group, will hold its first meeting on Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 4 pm at the Broadway Book Centre, 18th June Rd. WGUG aims to enhance Goa related content in all languages on the Wikipedia, and welcomes all interested in building this volunteer-crafted encyclopedia, through either words and images. RSVP needed: 9822122436
FIRST MEETING OF WGUG on 28Sep2019 at Broadway’s (Panjim). Attended by Prateek Saxena (Porvorim), Nikhil Kawale (Porvorim), Neil Shah-Quinn (Caranzalem), YourTara (Journalist,TheGoan), Jay Joshi (Journalist, TheGoan), Kabir Naik (Panjim, photographer and videographer), Tamaturgo Furtado (lawyer), Eddie Vaz (engineer, Panjim) Niraj Naik (Panjim) and FN (Saligao).
- WGUG, a newly affiliated user group, was introduced.
- FN suggested its functioning should be crowd-sourced and participative.
- Funding challenges with Indian groups was raised.
- Prateek explained Wikisource (sharable books), Wikidata.
- Wikidata is machine-readable data and important.
- He suggested how we could get started on it in Goa.
- YourTara asked how newbies could contribute.
- FN suggested photographs and a brief training on photography.
- Timeline of Goa’s History was discussed, to help students.
- Tamaturgo raised issue of possibly sharing books by Aquino Furtado
- Edwin felt that there were more info on the Wikipedia in the past.
- FN suggested collating old photos using a hashtag like #goaoldphoto
- Nikhil suggested a #WikipediaTakesPune type evnt for Goa.
- Prateek suggested setting up a WikiSource project for Konkani (scanning copyright-free and unencumbered books)
- Possibility of talking to Dept of Info about copyright-free official pics.
- Wikidata project possible for monuments in each taluka of Goa?
Ready to volunteer:
- PRATEEK: Wikisource for Goa/Konkani, Wiki data, monuments and shrines on a map of Goa?
- YOURTARA: Converting Isidore Mendes articles on Goan villages on Monday’s ToI into sources for Wikipedia articles. Neil offered to help.
- Jai possible to get temple, heritage photos of Ponda via his dad onto Wikimedia Commons.
- Kabir said he could get in a lot of photos via his network from different parts of Goa, being in the field of photography. He is a Std XI student. We all appreciated this offer.
- Prateek to make a data-driven map of Goa, showing heritage sites, etc
- FN to network with groups like GHAG (Goa Heritage Action Group), Dept of Info, Mangalore Wikipedians, etc.
- Nikhil suggested a Wiki loves Monument-style campaign for Goa.
- Neil offered to enable the Konkani script converter for the Konkani
- Wikipedia, or help assist efforts if this is already being done.
- Konkanverter was pointed to. To ask Hariette if she could help get Konkanverter OpenSourced etc.
- It was felt that a WikiSource for Konkani could help put existing books and create new sharable books there, and promote interest in it. Prateek suggested a case needed to be made for a Konkani Wikisource.